This phrasing in particular makes me think that my theory has some credence, they’re going to reconstitute as SWORD, no longer just the last line of defense.
"But Coulson’s actions towards May are okay because he’s only human and he’s just had his whole world ripped out from under his feet. He’s been through so much!"
You’re conveniently forgetting that May also worked for SHIELD. She was working for HYDRA as much as Coulson was. She cared about…
Nope, I don’t expect that from either one of them. They’re both wrapped up in their own trauma and it’s hard to get past that emotionally. Given this particular situation no one should be telling anyone “this is how you’re supposed to feel” or “this is how you’re supposed to act”. It’s an extreme situation and trust has been fractured in the worst possible way.
I agree and I think what this poster’s interpretation leaves out is that these actions have all happened within a 48 - 72 hour window with little to no downtime that wasn’t spent patching up wounds or fixing equipment. When was this reflection time supposed to happen? Coulson hasn’t stopped moving, hasn’t stopped planning (and with good reason, personal and otherwise) so no amount of calm conversation with him about his actions are gonna get anywhere, as we saw when the various attempts were made. Is he too angry at May? I don’t know? Is he lashing out too much? Probably b/c she’s the most accessible betrayal at hand, so yeah he’s probably transferring some anger, but I don’t think we should treat this like he’s been doing this for weeks or months. Yeah it’s 3 eps in, but those are barely a few days. I’m not sure what we have CAN be judged in the terms the OP suggests just yet.
I also think May’s attempts at conversations were poor starters considering why he doesn’t feel he can trust her.
These days any time I get close to Supernatural, I get the urge for Fallen!Cas to have wacky adventures with Phil Coulson.
Just Oops again. I’ve made lots of notes for other stuff, but this one kept me occuppied. Still officially untitled, though everyone seems like “Holy Shit, I Love You”.
Phil strokes Clint’s cheek. “Don’t make me promise something I can’t possibly keep,” he just about begs, because he’s close to that too, close to asking for things he has no right to ask for.
“I won’t,” Clint’s hoarse voice promises, “I’ve got a burner with me. I always do for ops like this.” He leans in for another soft kiss, “Can I call you?”
Phil closes his eyes, it’s not technically breaking any protocol, Clint will be doing shift work for a while. “Bring a second phone,” Phil says, “and only off shift.”
Clint smiles, “What do you take me for,” they share a short kiss, “an amateur?”
“No comment,” Phil says with a smile.
They leave it at that, no goodbyes, no promises, no exceptions, just professional nods. They’ll see each other again, Phil knows it.
The man’s eyes contain worlds of emotion. WORLDS.
He still remembers those soldiers who died for him in Afghanistan.
Basically Yes. This scene is SO important.
1. RDJ knocks it out of the park. Just. There’s basically his first two movies in that look and it’s amazing.
2. It says a lot about Steve in that moment, about his assumptions of EVERYTHING because if he read Tony’s file even a LITTLE he’d know that this is definitely NOT the first time someone close to him has died. Violently. And in ways that he can easily twist to thinking it was b/c he wasn’t good/fast/smart enough.
Think about where Steve is in this scene, he still thinks he’s better than Tony, he’s lowering himself to commiserate when in reality I think Tony is the braver one. He never wanted to be a soldier, I mean, look at Iron Man, it’s main design plus for tony is that he relies on no one else. He’s it. No one can die working with him. I bet Rhodey having the suit gives him nightmares. All the time. It’s not that Tony’s never had compatriots die, it’s that he was never part of an organization that trains for you to go to war and to accept that death comes with it. He’s essentially a volunteer and Steve just— is still living with his preconcieved notions.
Note: I do not hate steve, but I do find him pretty douchy for most of avengers.
EDIT: I mostly feel like this tells us that Steve isn’t adapting. I WISH some of the cut scenes had made it in. I do. I think it would have changed the flavor of this entirely.
If you ignore that the timeline is off by about 5 years the fact that Amanda King (of Scarecrow and Mrs King) had a son named Phillip is a real mind fuck.
I can’t wait for Neil Patrick Harris’s autobiography and the chapter titled: How I Met Your Mother and the Ending We All Hated and How We Managed to Avoid Expressing Opinions about it in Every Interview
Well he missed a pretty god damn big one didn’t he
Okay. Let’s talk about this. I know some of you are joking, but I think some of you genuinely feel this is a possible plot hole.
1. I doubt that info is just floating around. Really, I doubt it. If it’s there, it’s in tiny pieces that are out of sync patterns. MUCH HARDER TO FIND in that mass of data.
2. Despite saying ALL, I’m sure he’s directed JARVIS into specific places first. Probably just looking at projects and tech.
3. I highly doubt that first foray had the objective of analyzing the data that was there and finding upsetting patterns.
4. Iron Man 3 pretty much tells us he’s been pretty distracted since then. Probably avoiding EVERYTHING. I’m sure, tucked up into a corner of JARVIS’s processing, he’s going through the data, but an infiltration THAT deep? It’d be hard to see. Especially if they have the people in the right departments to cover their tracks.
5. So yeah, if anyone was gonna figure it out, it was Tony, but I think he’s just been too busy/distracted for that AND what he was looking for in the first place was a completely different type of data.
(I know, I punked out on the last one, my mojo left me.)
1. Pick any single scenario in the MCU (so a pairing, a character, a canon plot point you wish changed, or to not be retconned later, a comics canon plot point you hope comes through, warning, I don’t know ALL the comics characters) I am up to speed on everything but Thor 2 and Cap 2.
2. Give me a fic title and choose for me to write one of the following:
A. First three lines.
B. Last three lines
C. One paragraph summary.
D. The plot twist I’d be tempted to use but won’t.
E. The fannish trope I’d most likely use.
AND I WILL WRITE that tiny bit, just for you!
*quietly saves this for future fic ideas*
*pats Phil Coulson onna head*
IF Hand (and I’m not gonna be convinced she’s dead till there’s a body bag and well, we’ve seen how much that matters) and Coulson are truly the highest ranked members left (I’d wager there might be another one or two in hidden pockets) I know what’d I’d do in terms of story telling, but I’m biased.
I’d have Coulson eventually end up as the temporary head of SHIELD. I was assuming he’d probably end up there anyway in an eventual plotline. He’s had a massive trauma to the body that’s permanently changed him, comics canon seems to require that for potential heads of SHIELD. (Tony Stark people, Tony Stark. If he can be head of SHIELD, Coulson totally can.)
And as the temporary head, THIS is how everyone who thought he was dead (and hasn’t been informed otherwise) learns he isn’t.
I’d also suspect that SHIELD might not rebuild into SHIELD, but that they’ve decided MCU can only have so many acronyms that spell shit at a time. I wonder if maybe SHIELD will reconstitute as SWORD. The next level, you know instead of defense, they’re offense now. B/C The Battle of NY was just a preview of their new enemies.
As for Centipede, I really suspect it was a hydra offshoot. But I’m with some other people in thinking there’s currently no singular head and that all the People In Charge we’ve been presented with are either figure heads or only one of several people. I won’t be shocked if this ends up being hatched out of a Committee of Terrible Old White People.
Okay, so everyone is freaking out, so I decided to make a post about all the awesome bits that I will probably use in fic at some point!
1. FURY WAS COULSON’S SO. I love. I really, really love this. I know comics gave them a complex back story, but MCU hadn’t really touched on it yet and what Fury did to keep Coulson alive speaks of a deep, long and complex relationship, even if I allow for Fury having a serious case of ends justifying the means.
2. Coulson and Melinda also have a deep and rich back story, suggested earlier, but now confirmed! He was there for her after Bahrain (which he pronounces gorgeously FYI) but I think he was there WITH her DURING it. I have to re-watch that scene.
3. Patching each other up. I suspect I could write a fic of 5 times Phil took a bullet out of Melinda and one time he put one in her or something. Just. ALL THE MEDICAL CARE FIC EVER OKAY?
4. Coulson is an excellent shot. Not just an excellent shot but he can do some of the more complex shit as well. I wouldn’t be shocked if MCU gave him sniper training background. That scene with the drones speaks to a LOT of skill in his background. In fact I’d bet he could probably pilot the plane and several other airborne vehicles.
5. WE FINALLY get to see him fight. They focused more on Melinda b/c her fighting is prettier, but I am studying those 30 seconds for clues later.
6. ROLLED UP SLEEVES. Nuff said?
7. Fitz. ALL THE FITZ. I love that he was crying, I just… I love it. No one does that. Excellent direction. I also love that while being scared shitless he’s thinking clearly enough to find cover, grab the gun when available and USE IT WELL ENOUGH to hit his target on the first shot.
8. COULSON’S WOOBY FACE. We get all versions of this, but I love that at least twice the episode turns on a dime as Coulson processes information, realizes what it means and then acts. Because he is THAT AWESOME but also this is very hard for him. His entire life just went up into smoke (And yeah I’ve got at least two fics started where he has to deal with realizing his entire life isn’t what he thought it was in relation to his job.) And I’ve made this commentary before about the company man who PAST HIS PRIME (come on, he’s 50ish, awesome, but not quite prime anymore) discovers chunks of his life are not just secret and need to know BUT A LIE. God, that’s such awesome fic material.
9. addendum - I love that when Coulson realizes there’s too much going on and he needs time, he tranqs May b/c he knows there’s no time to truly secure her, so he takes her out of commission for a while so he has less things to worry about. I really think this speaks to his mission/command style.
Put an assumption in my ask. I’ll confirm or dispute it. I’m not gonna be mean or anything, I’m just very interested.
Ooh. Interesting! While I belated reply to fic comments! Assume away!
Question for someone with more math than me.
The other day someone on FB made a post the said ‘i <3 pi’
and I’m wondering (b/c nerd here) is i less that 3pi?
I figure sense it’s the square root of -1, probably but I wasn’t even sure you could do that equivalence b/c i is imaginary and 3pi is real.
I’d like to hear all answers (even sarcastic ones)
<3 is a sideways heart. The phrase means I heart pie.